Barnacle is a free tool that turns your “rooted” Android phone into a Wireless (WiFi) Access Point allowing you to browse internet on your computer. For tethering to work no custom kernels or ROMs are required. Barnacle supports Windows Mac and Linux.
Tethering allows you to share internet connection of you mobile phone with your computer or devices like Apple iPad.
Barnacle wifi tethering app is available in the Android Market for free. Before downloading and installing Barnacle WiFi tether app, you may follow following guides if your Android phone is not rooted:
- How to Root Motorola DROID 2.1
- How to Root HTC Desire and HTC Legend on Android 2.1 Platform
- How to Root Verizon HTC Eris 2.1 on Android Platform
- How to Root Telus Motorola Milestone on Android Platform
- How to Root Motorola Milestone Running on Android
- How to Root Google Nexus One Running on Android 2.1
- How to Root Motorola CLIQ Running on Android
- How to Root Samsung Moment running on Android
- How to Root Samsung Behold2 & Galaxy Running on Android
- How to Root Motorola Backflip on Android Platform
WiFi Tethering using Barnacle Android App
1. Download Barnacle from the market and open it.
2. Navigate to Settings and SSID to name your network.
3. Then navigate into Wireless Security, then enable WEP and choose a password.
4. Now go into both WAN and LAN and clear out all information.
5. Hit the back arrow soft key and tap “Start”.
6. Wifi tethering is completed successfully. Enjoy your free wifi hotspot!
Android users who are looking other ways to tether their android device can follow our guide on how to Enable Tethering using Android WiFi Tether, tether Motorola DROID, Tether Nexus One or enabling WiFi Tethering on Nexus One. Android (beta) version of Tether App (formerly, TetherBerry) is also available for enabling tethering on android without rooting your handset.