Apple has released final version of iOS 4 which can be downloaded for free via iTunes by simply connecting your iPhone to your computer or simply click the Refresh button located in the Summary section of your iPhone in iTunes. iOS 4 is compatible with all iPhones with the exception of the first model EDGE (2007). The iPhone 3G and iPod touch does not support multitasking. It is important to note that iOS 4 for iPad will be released this fall.
A whopping list of 1500 new features is riding on iOS 4 including multitasking, a unified inbox, app folders, enhanced Mail.app, data detectors, wallpapers, iBooks, Bing search integration. The first-gen iPod is left out entirely, and the 3G won’t do multitasking. iOS 4 also includes support for Apple’s mobile advertising platform iAd, slated to launch on July 1st. Let find out whether you can install iOS 4 or not?
- Original iPhones (2007) – Cannot run iOS 4 and does not support any apps developed for iOS 4.
- iPhone 3G (2008) – Can run iOS 4, but multitasking is not supported.
- iPhone 3GS (2009) – Fully compatible with iOS 4.
- iPhone 4 – Fully compatible with iOS 4.
iPod Touch owners
- Original iPod Touch (2007) – Cannot run iOS 4.
- Second-generation iPod Touch (2008) – Can run iOS 4, but multitasking is not supported.
- Third-generation iPod Touch (2009) – Fully compatible with iOS 4.
- iOS 4 for iPad will be released this fall.
How to install iOS 4 update:
- Upgrade your iTunes version to 9.2.
- Back up your data before running the install, so plug in your iOS device via USB and hit Sync.
- When you’re done syncing, click Check for Update.
- Download iOS 4, then follow the on-screen instructions to install.
Download iOS 4 for iPhone and iPod Touch
It is important to note that iOS 4 GM (Gold Master) build is same (build 8A293) as the final one with a difference in checksum. If you are running the iOS 4 GM seeded at WWDC, you must upgrade it now. To install iOS 4 firmware on your iPhone and iPod Touch use the following link:
You may also like to check out more about iOS 4 firmware: