Guys over XDA forum have hacked a work-around to launch recovery running on the HTC EVO 4G without using a PC using Fake-Flash which launches a recovery image from the test image recovery and instead of pushing the files from a PC, the files are extracted from an update.zip on the SD card.
Just download and install the recovery via ROM Manager which is a free app on the Android Market. ROM Manager will also install the recovery update.zip to /sdcard/update.zip. So if you ever hose your installation, simply start up in test/stock recovery mode, and navigate to apply sdcard:update.zip and you will be in ClockworkMod recovery.
If you’d rather download manually, Koush has also provided instructions for this method.
- Download the fake-flash update zip.
- Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name must remain as update.zip)
When you want to launch the recovery image
- Turn on your device with ‘volume down’ pressed and select ‘Recovery’
- When the exclamation mark appears, press and hold ‘volume up’ then press ‘power’
- Select the second option, ‘Apply sdcard:update.zip
- That’s it, ClockworkMod recovery should launch!
Note - Fake-Flash is only for devices rooted with a test image, and will not work on unrevoked root.
Via – xda-devs