DROID 2.1 Update has been rooted successfully. Speeddymon over on AllDroid.org has found way to modify the update.zip used to update your DROID to Androd 2.1 and give you root access in the process.
Rooting Android phone provides full access to its system files allowing you to modify the phone’s firmware and install third party apps, themes and custom ROMs. Once DROID 2.1 is rooted, you can even tether your android phone to your computer to share internet access.
How to Root DROID 2.1 Update
- As with the original Droid root exploit, download the 2.1 update.zip from here.
- Download the attached .zip file from here, and name it droid-ESE81-update-2.zip
- Open command prompt and run the following command to combine them:
- copy /b signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip+droid-ESE81-update-2.zip update.zip
- Then copy the update.zip to your SDCard, reboot to STOCK recovery (do not use this on a rooted phone, things may break and you may need to end up using an SBF)
- In recovery, press Volume + and Camera then use the D-pad to select Apply update.zip
- Voila, DROID 2.1 has been rooted successfully.
Note: This does NOT update the recovery image to 2.1’s recovery.