Dan Ardelean has completely unlocked the Windows Phone 7 Series emulator allowing the developers to see the mobile operating system components of the ROM which Microsoft didn’t want you to see.
After hacking o unlocking the modified Windows Phone 7 Series emulator ROM, You can now access some of the missing features that were demoed at MWC and MIX10.
How to unlock Windows Phone 7 Series emulator ROM
- Download the developer tools (Visual Studio 10 express) from Microsoft, Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Install all of them.
- Download the .BIN file from Dan Ardelean (mirror)
- Rename the file to WM70C1.bin
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\WindowsPhone\v7.0\Emulation\Images
- Rename the existing WM70C1.bin to WM70C1_old.bin
- Copy paste the downloaded bin file
It is important to note that Windows Phone 7 Series and this ROM in particular is in early stage and may not resemble with the final Windows Phone 7 device UI.